Sunday 7 September 2014

SSUK14 6th September 2014

A chance meeting with Taz at the Cannock Chase cafe earlier in the year found me signed up for the event. Having never raced before and only just got back into singlespeeds, I wasn't totally sure what to expect.

Being a big jessie I chose a nearby motel rather than the camping, which unfortunately meant I ended up missing the evening fun, but probably saved me riding with a hangover.

I arrived on Saturday to register, expecting the promised shonkyness, but everything seemed well organised, this trend seemed to carry on throughout the day.

Once we had ridden over to the start from the campsite, we left our bikes for the organisers and marshals to move to somewhere else, we waited for the briefing and then after the start hooter the keen racers ran to find their bikes, whilst the rest of us meandered over. I wasn't looking forward to searching for a white Inbred in amongst all the other white inbreds, but my bike was were I left it (did you actually move any?)

I managed 3 1/2 laps in all (half a lap due to getting a bit lost). After 2 laps the leaders were just about to finish. Full respect to those guys, but I bet I had more fun.

A great course with some good interesting bits. Loved the tight stuff through the trees (other than the tree I hit).

The beer stops were a welcome sight and the beer was excellent.

Well done Taz, Keef and all the others who helped and watched, only one complaint, I never really saw shonky, it was like a well oiled machine.


Excuse the vibrations on the video, I'm used to filming on a fully suspended bike, the rigid forks on the hardtail meant that on the rough stuff it was all a bit harsh for the camera. You may not want to watch if you have been drinking heavily.





ssuk14 mp4.mp4 from mark holttum on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment