Sunday 2 March 2014

Pitch Hill 2/03/14 - Steve's Revenge

I went looking for more trails to add to the evening rides today, I should have know it wasn't going to be plain sailing as the problems started yesterday.

Firstly I have rebuilt my Dialled Bikes Morning Glory, I've been meaning to do this for ages. I haven't ridden it since I bought the Orange 4 years ago. It's a great bike for twisty single track and turns really quickly, it's also a fair bit lighter than the Orange which tips that scales at about 31lbs, so ascending is much less of a drag.



For some reason I really struggled setting the front mech up and this continued to play up today, as did the rear mech which kept getting stuck in a low gear, I think new inner and outer cables are needed. I also had problems with the bottom bracket, with it clonking and the crank coming loose. Bit more work to get it riding how it should.

I was slightly apprehensive taking the hardtail, as it hadn't had a shake down ride, but I was trying to go tubeless on the Orange. Installing Stans No Tubes kit was proving to be a pain in the backside however, as the first tyre was no where near sealing. I think I will leave that now until next weekend and put the tubes back in for the mid week ride.

So with a bike I'm not used too, not working as it should and a front tyre that seemed to lack any grip, it's no surprise that I had an off. Just a slip on a rooty section and no injury on this one.



The second off was a lot more painful and I have a nice big lump on my hip to show for it. Having come down the trail it was my exit onto the main trail that was the problem, taking the wrong line the front wheel landing on the top of a stump (bottom right of photo) which was flat and pitched me off.


This is how to correctly take that line, more speed and launch off the drop.




I decided to call it quits at this stage and headed back to the car via Church Run. Not much in the way of new trails found, unfortunately.


No comments:

Post a Comment